The Islamic Center of Tri-Cities would like to invite the Yakima community to participate in the following competitions. Please pay attention for deadline registration and Award ceremony for each competition. The aim of these competitions is to have fun, learn something from each other along the way and of course, there will be some prizes for kids who win, Insha’Allah.
Islamic Art (Drawing) Contest
Who can participate: 1st level age 5-11 , 2nd level 12-18 years old
What to draw: A poster welcoming Ramadan/celebrating Ramadan
Size: up to 9 inch x 12 inch paper using any drawing materials of your choice (Color pencils/crayons/markers/water colors, etc.).
How to submit: Get your kid(s) to finish their masterpiece, scan and submit by May 4th. All the hard copies needs also to be handed to Ahmad Fora on May 4th around Maghrib time.
Where to submit: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject of “Online drawing competition”
What else to include: Child’s full name, age, phone number.
How many entries can a child make: Only one per child.
What will be the criteria for judging: Judicious use of color, good composition, and clear concept.
Results will be announced on Saturday May 12 (Potluck day). There will be 3 winning entries from each level. Winning entries will be posted in the Masjid during the month of Ramadan. Their names will be mentioned.
Write an essay about “Ramadan in my family”.
Tell us how your family spends Ramadan and what makes the month so much more special to you. For example:
- What do your parents’ guide you to do in this month?
- How are the suhoor and iftar planned in your home?
- Do you arrange any special activities at home to learn more about Islam and the holy month of Ramadan?
- Any special food foods you’d like to share?
- How is your experience when you go to Taraweeh?
Your writing should be in a Microsoft Word document in 12-point Times New Roman font and double-spaced. Your title should be bolded at the top center of the first page. Do not include your name or other personal information in the document. The length of your writing should be between 200-600 words.
Who can participate: 1st level age 5-11 2nd level 12-18 years old
To submit your entry, attach your document in an email to email@example.com under the subject of “Online Essay contest at ICTC”. In the body of your email, write your full name, your age, your date of birth, and phone number.
Entries will be judged based on creativity and individuality. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling will also be important factors in judging your essays.
Only 1 entry will be accepted.
Registration deadline: May 4th
There will be 3 winning entries from each level. Winning entries will be posted in the Masjid during the month of Ramadan. Their names will be mentioned.
Results will be announced on Saturday May 12 (Potluck day)
Registration deadline: May 12th
Contest date: Friday June 9 (25th of Ramadan) and/or Saturday June 10
Quran contest Award Ceremony will be on: Saturday June 10 (the 26th of Ramadan)
To sign up, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject of “Quran competition at ICTC”
There will be 4 levels for the kids (each level has basic and advanced level) in addition to adult and convert levels. Kids can choose either basic or advanced level, which has different prizes.
- Age up to 6 years old (Level 1):
- Basic level: 6 Surahs – # 108 (Al-Kauthar), 110 (An-Nasr), 111 (Al-Masadd), 112 (Al-Ikhlas), 113 (Al-Falaq) and 114 (An-Naas)
- Advanced level: same as above, in addition to # 105 (Al-Feel), 106 (Quraish), 107 (Al-Ma’oon), 109 (Al-Kafiroon)
- Ages 7 -10 years old (level 2):
- Basic level: 5 Surahs – #93 (Ad-Dhuha), 94 (Al-Inshirah), 95 (At-Teen), 97 (Al-Qadr), 99 (Al-Zalzalah),
- Advanced level: same as above, in addition to # 96 (Al-Alaq), 98 (Al-Bayyinah),100 (Al-Adiyat).
- Ages 11-14 years old (level 3):
- Basic level: 4 Surahs – #86 (Attariq), 87 (Al-A’laa), 91 (Ash-Shams) and 92 (Al-Layl)
- Advanced level: same as above, in addition to # 88 (Al-Ghashiyah), 89 (Al-Fajr), 90 (Al-Balad).
- Ages 15 to 18 years old (Level 4):
- Basic level: # 78 An-Naba’
- Advanced level: same as above, in addition to # 82 Al-Infitar
- Adults (Men and Women):
- Basic level: # 36 Ya Seen
- Advanced level: same as above, in addition to # 32 As-Sajda
- CONVERTS, any age: Alfatiha plus any 3 surahs
Note: the participant will be asked to randomly pick one or two of the Surahs assigned to their category by picking out a piece of folded paper in front of the judges on the competition day. If the participant choose the advanced level, then he or she will be examined on 2 Surahs (1 from the basic level, and 1 from advanced level).
Every participant will receive a participation certificate. In addition to valuable prizes for the 1st 3 winners from each level.
Speech (Khatirah) Competition
Participants are expected to prepare a short speech and present it to the Judges based on the given topic of their age group level. Please choose your age level and plan accordingly.
Level 1: age 5-11 , 3 minute speech on “What Islam means to me?”
Level 2: age 12-18, 4 minute speech on “Mohammad (pbuh): How was he a mercy to mankind”
- Participant must present his or her speech in front of the judges; written submission is NOT required
- The khatirah will be timed and needs to be within 30 seconds of the time limit
- The khatirah must be written by the participant.
Registration deadline: May 12th
Contest date: Friday June 9 (25th of Ramadan) or Saturday June 10
Speech contest Award Ceremony will be on: Saturday June 10 (the 26th of Ramadan)
To sign up, please email us on email@example.com under the subject of “Speech competition at ICTC”. Please provide name of the participant, age, date of birth, contact number.